The first thing to understand about social media is that it is meant to be ‘social’. That is how it got its name.
Many agents think it is a platform to push their latest listings or brag about their latest sale.
That would be like going to a bar b cue and saying out loud “Let me tell you about my latest listing” or “I just sold a house – how good am I?”
You would stop getting invitations real quick.
That is what you are doing on social media but it’s worse, because a lot of these people you don’t even know.
Social Media, correctly used, is a great way to tell people what you are all about. They get to know you as a person and appreciate your qualities before they meet you in some cases and before they decide to work with you professionally.
Sure – they need to know you are successful and so the occasional new listing and/or sale is OK but it should not be all you do on social media.
Here are some tips:
- Set up a business Facebook page, do not use your personal page
- Write about what is happening in your patch
- Use images and video to communicate
- Show how you care about the people you work with – how you give welcome packs, the information you provide to buyers and sellers etc
- Use contests and ask questions to get people engaged in your social media
- Make it a communication channel – not just one way from you but get people to talk to you and ask you questions
- Use the 80/20 rule – post 80% of your content about lifestyle and 20% about you and your product.
Now – get social!